Note: For best results, this recipe requires 6 hours of refrigeration before serving.
For the Cake:
For the Flan:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to the middle position. Grease six wells of a muffin tin.
- Combine the flax meal, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring at each interval until melted; about 3 minutes total.
- Whisk together the water, sour cream, 1/2 egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Add to the melted chocolate and stir until fully incorporated.
- Stir in flax mixture until just combined. Divide the batter equally among the six muffin wells.
- Combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, coconut milk, 1 1/2 eggs, egg yolk, granular sugar substitute and 1/2 tsp vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the flan mixture over the cake batter until almost filled to the top. Place muffin tin in a large roasting pan and fill roasting pan with hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the muffin wells.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean and the flan reaches 180°F. As it cooks the cake will rise to the top of the muffin tin and the flan will remain below, if the cake is done on top and it has cooked for at least 50 minutes the flan should be the correct temperature.
- Transfer the muffin tin to a wire rack and allow it to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until fully set, about 6 hours or overnight.
- To release the cakes, place bottom of muffin tin in the same roasting pan used for cooking and fill with 1-inch of hot tap water; allow to sit for 1 minute. Gently turn muffin tin upside down to release the flan and carefully transfer each to serving plates.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons sugar-free caramel or maple syrup over the cakes before serving.