- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, orange zest, and chili flakes.
- Place the chicken in a separate small bowl; toss with 3 tablespoons sauce mix. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat wok or large skillet over high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and the garlic. Add the chicken, quickly stirring and separating for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add the pea pods and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the pan. Add the remaining oil and the mushrooms to the pan. Stir briefly. Add the broccoli and carrots. Stir to coat with oil; add the broth; cover and steam the vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove the lid; stir in the chicken, pea pods, water chestnuts, and the remaining sauce mix. Stir briefly to coat.
- If desired, to thicken the sauce, push the meat and vegetables to the side, and whisk thickener into the simmering sauce. Sprinkle chopped green onions over the stir-fry and serve.
If you remove the carrots this recipe is acceptable for phase two.